Hello World is a computer science education magazine published every few months by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
I was lucky enough to be a contributing author for issue 17 of the magazine (October 2021), where I shared my experiences in teaching with a Gameful pedagogy - i.e. setting up classwork and assignments using aspects of game design.
The key ideas from game design you can include within a classroom include:
- Clear learning goals
- Identity play (for example, have students pretend to be members of an R&D department)
- Embedded assessment
- Intrinsic and extrinsic motivators
- Supporting student autonomy
- Encouraging belonging and community
- Supporting competence in a new skill
- Making failures productive
- Encouraging exploration
- Practice and reinforcement
More details can be found on page 50 of Hello World Issue 17